Skip to main content

Beta This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

  1. Home
  2. Your training options
  3. Higher technical qualifications (HTQs)

Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs)

HTQs are technical qualifications that employers have helped develop so you can get the right training and skills you need to succeed at work. You can study a HTQ full time or part time.

Types of approved HTQs

There are many different types of approved HTQs, such as:

  • higher national diplomas
  • higher national certificates
  • foundation degrees
  • higher education diplomas

It takes 1 to 2 years to complete a HTQ, depending on the course you take.

Not all diplomas, certificates and foundation degrees are approved HTQs. Look out for the HTQ logo or banner which always shows on approved qualifications.

HTQ quality mark banner.

Subjects you can take

You can take a HTQ in a variety of different subjects across a wide range of sectors. You'll have even more subjects to choose from in 2024.

You can view the HTQ subjects available now and in the future.

Entry requirements for HTQs

To start a HTQ, you’ll need to be 18 or over and live in England. You can apply for a HTQ while you’re still at school.

The grades or qualifications you’ll need to have will depend on the type of course you’re applying for.

Qualification you'll earn

You’ll earn either a level 4 or 5 qualification depending on the course you take. The qualification you'll get will have been approved by employers as giving you the knowledge and skills you need to work in that area.

You can see what the qualification levels mean on GOV.UK.

Financial support for HTQs

Most universities and colleges charge a tuition fee to cover the cost of your course. They’re likely to cost from around £7,000 to £9,250 a year.

You may be eligible for funding from student finance. It's available for both full time and part time courses and is the same support that's available for degrees and other types of higher education. The amount you could get will depend on your circumstances and the type of HTQ you’re studying.

Find a HTQ

You can contact a local university, college or training provider directly or use UCAS to search and apply for HTQ courses near you.

You’re usually taught in a classroom at a college, university or an independent training provider.

Find a HTQ through UCAS

After your HTQ

After completing a HTQ, you could start work straight away or continue studying in higher education.